AFCA Forums Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

 Moderated by: Steve Cunningham, Rod Rogers, Larry Hancock Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Attn: Levi Mevis  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Aug 26th, 2018 11:42 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
Russ Huber
AFCA Member


Joined: Mon Nov 14th, 2005
Location: Southwest, Wisconsin USA
Status: 
Offline
Levi,  


What is the BB/BC fan in this photo?   :wondering:

Attached Image (viewed 823 times):

fans.png

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Mon Aug 27th, 2018 12:01 am
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Levi Mevis
Guest


Joined: Tue Feb 24th, 2015
Location: Elkhart, Indiana USA
Status: 
Offline
I believe it is a GE Pancake, but as to what year it is I am not sure but by the way the tag is mounted it looks to be possibly an 1900 or 1901 model.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Mon Aug 27th, 2018 01:12 am
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Russ Huber
AFCA Member


Joined: Mon Nov 14th, 2005
Location: Southwest, Wisconsin USA
Status: 
Offline
Levi Mevis wrote: I believe it is a GE Pancake, but as to what year it is I am not sure but by the way the tag is mounted it looks to be possibly an 1900 or 1901 model.
Hint....1900-01 models have oil cups.  What is different about this GE cake?  :wondering:

Attached Image (viewed 761 times):

gefan.jpg

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Mon Aug 27th, 2018 01:38 am
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
Levi Mevis
Guest


Joined: Tue Feb 24th, 2015
Location: Elkhart, Indiana USA
Status: 
Offline
It appears the oilcup is mounted upside down, as I believe the oilcups on the pancakes are supposed to be on the bottom rather than on the top, which means the front cover is on upside down.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Mon Aug 27th, 2018 02:21 am
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
Russ Huber
AFCA Member


Joined: Mon Nov 14th, 2005
Location: Southwest, Wisconsin USA
Status: 
Offline
Levi Mevis wrote: It appears the oilcup is mounted upside down, as I believe the oilcups on the pancakes are supposed to be on the bottom rather than on the top, which means the front cover is on upside down.
It is intended to be on top of the bearing.  That makes it a ……….grease cup. GE had one year they plopped a grease cup on top of the cake bearing. What year is that, Levi?  

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Mon Aug 27th, 2018 02:38 am
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
James Henderson
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Fri Jul 31st, 2015
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
1899

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Mon Aug 27th, 2018 02:44 am
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
Levi Mevis
Guest


Joined: Tue Feb 24th, 2015
Location: Elkhart, Indiana USA
Status: 
Offline
It was 1899, that was the year that they used the greasecup rather than an oilcup, that was the only year they did the greasecup. 1898 and before and 1900 up to 1908 they had oil cups.  

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Mon Aug 27th, 2018 02:47 am
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
Russ Huber
AFCA Member


Joined: Mon Nov 14th, 2005
Location: Southwest, Wisconsin USA
Status: 
Offline
Catalogue images credited to Ron Jeter.  The fan motor image is the 6 pole F5.









Attached Image (viewed 726 times):

untitled.png

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Mon Aug 27th, 2018 05:31 am
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
Levi Mevis
Guest


Joined: Tue Feb 24th, 2015
Location: Elkhart, Indiana USA
Status: 
Offline
So I'm curious Russ, what made you decide to create a post like this specifically for me? Not that I minded because the research was definitely quite fun, to browse through old internet posts and archives to find the answer to your question about the fan in question. But I just thought it was interesting that you just suddenly decided out of the blue earlier this evening to create a "fan quiz" just for me.

Last edited on Mon Aug 27th, 2018 05:34 am by Levi Mevis

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Mon Aug 27th, 2018 11:41 am
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
Michael Rathberger
AFCA Member


Joined: Tue Nov 15th, 2005
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
Did you get that one Russ? I have nothing against Iowa, it's just you have to go through Illinois to get there...

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Mon Aug 27th, 2018 01:37 pm
  PMQuoteReply
11th Post
Russ Huber
AFCA Member


Joined: Mon Nov 14th, 2005
Location: Southwest, Wisconsin USA
Status: 
Offline
Levi Mevis wrote: So I'm curious Russ, what made you decide to create a post like this specifically for me? Not that I minded because the research was definitely quite fun, to browse through old internet posts and archives to find the answer to your question about the fan in question. But I just thought it was interesting that you just suddenly decided out of the blue earlier this evening to create a "fan quiz" just for me.

Your fairly active on the forum, just curious if you knew. Now you do. 

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Mon Aug 27th, 2018 01:41 pm
  PMQuoteReply
12th Post
Russ Huber
AFCA Member


Joined: Mon Nov 14th, 2005
Location: Southwest, Wisconsin USA
Status: 
Offline


Michael Rathberger wrote:
Did you get that one Russ?
No. 

Attached Image (viewed 636 times):

1000-dollar-bill-granger.jpg

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Mon Aug 27th, 2018 01:46 pm
  PMQuoteReply
13th Post
Michael Rathberger
AFCA Member


Joined: Tue Nov 15th, 2005
Location:  
Status: 
Offline

That all...

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Mon Aug 27th, 2018 02:15 pm
  PMQuoteReply
14th Post
Russ Huber
AFCA Member


Joined: Mon Nov 14th, 2005
Location: Southwest, Wisconsin USA
Status: 
Offline
Michael Rathberger wrote:

That all...


No,  whoever got it had to be in Iowa.  

Attached Image (viewed 605 times):

IowaStatesign.jpg

Last edited on Mon Aug 27th, 2018 03:38 pm by Russ Huber

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Mon Aug 27th, 2018 06:14 pm
  PMQuoteReply
15th Post
Russ Huber
AFCA Member


Joined: Mon Nov 14th, 2005
Location: Southwest, Wisconsin USA
Status: 
Offline
Congrats to the new owner. The switch knob was present on the back for those who are wondering. And no, I wasn't there.  :D

Attached Image (viewed 579 times):

35368-banner-thrillist-names-best-beer-in-united-states-2014.jpg

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Mon Aug 27th, 2018 06:33 pm
  PMQuoteReply
16th Post
Levi Mevis
Guest


Joined: Tue Feb 24th, 2015
Location: Elkhart, Indiana USA
Status: 
Offline
So basically the fan was the prize? :wondering:

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Mon Aug 27th, 2018 10:30 pm
  PMQuoteReply
17th Post
Tony Swartzendruber
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Thu Jul 3rd, 2014
Location: Iowa USA
Status: 
Offline
I was there, went 1/2 way hoping to get my first cake. Russ were you the phone bidder ? Was the price fair for that fan ? it was a form F.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Mon Aug 27th, 2018 10:52 pm
  PMQuoteReply
18th Post
Steve Stephens
AFCA Member


Joined: Mon Nov 14th, 2005
Location: San Anselmo, California USA
Status: 
Offline
If that pancake sold for $1050 that was a good price for the buyer considering year and condition.   I would have paid it.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Tue Aug 28th, 2018 12:23 am
  PMQuoteReply
19th Post
Russ Huber
AFCA Member


Joined: Mon Nov 14th, 2005
Location: Southwest, Wisconsin USA
Status: 
Offline
Levi Mevis wrote: So basically the fan was the prize? :wondering:

Levi, I was actually very curious if you could identify the fan. You spend a fair amount of time on the forum interacting with others. That's a good thing. Now the next time a 99 cake appears with someone seeking ID for it, you can educate them.   :clap:

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Tue Aug 28th, 2018 12:45 am
  PMQuoteReply
20th Post
Russ Huber
AFCA Member


Joined: Mon Nov 14th, 2005
Location: Southwest, Wisconsin USA
Status: 
Offline
Tony Swartzendruber wrote: I was there, went 1/2 way hoping to get my first cake. Russ were you the phone bidder ? Was the price fair for that fan ? it was a form F.

Yes, I was on the phone. I had to test the waters if the fan may of possibly been overlooked by a collector that could identify it. This happened to me in Illinois once, the only competition I had there was an Amish dude who would never bid over $50, brass fan or not.  :D  I actually left the auction early leaving a GE 12" brass & brass roundback for the Amish dude. I was starving.  :D


Once the bidding started going nuts I knew collectors were there and backed off as an act of courtesy.  I have owned a number of cakes, including a nice 6 pole 99. Gotta think in the best interest of others at times. It all comes back to you in the long run.


Being a 99 stick mount in what appeared to be in nice original shape he did good.  If she was the F5 6 pole single speed he did real good. That fan runs so quiet and peaceful, such a sweetie. Perfect for a bedside fan. 

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Tue Aug 28th, 2018 01:09 am
  PMQuoteReply
21st Post
Steve Stephens
AFCA Member


Joined: Mon Nov 14th, 2005
Location: San Anselmo, California USA
Status: 
Offline
If she was the F5 6 pole single speed he did real good. That fan runs so quiet and peaceful, such a sweetie. Perfect for a bedside fan. 
Looked like a two speed Russ as I can see the speed coil inside the back of the motor.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Tue Aug 28th, 2018 02:20 am
  PMQuoteReply
22nd Post
Russ Huber
AFCA Member


Joined: Mon Nov 14th, 2005
Location: Southwest, Wisconsin USA
Status: 
Offline
I no longer own this fan.  But...FWIW...here is the 99 F5 6 pole I bought from Chicago Bob years ago.  I was new into collecting and did a bad.  This fan was in very nice original condition when purchased and should of been left alone.  No speed coil. 




















Attached Image (viewed 473 times):

yellowgreen1.jpg

Last edited on Tue Aug 28th, 2018 02:25 am by Russ Huber

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Tue Aug 28th, 2018 03:34 am
  PMQuoteReply
23rd Post
Russ Huber
AFCA Member


Joined: Mon Nov 14th, 2005
Location: Southwest, Wisconsin USA
Status: 
Offline
The tag.

Attached Image (viewed 463 times):

99Candlestick2.jpg

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Tue Aug 28th, 2018 06:33 am
  PMQuoteReply
24th Post
Tom Morel
AFCA Member


Joined: Sun Dec 25th, 2011
Location: Long Beach, California USA
Status: 
Offline
Can someone tell me what the point of this thread is? Russ, I’m sure you know what a 99 pancake looks like and I don’t see the benefits of quizzing members on well known and at least somewhat common fans. Hope I haven’t stepped on everyone’s toes here but I don’t understand why we have this thread.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Tue Aug 28th, 2018 12:58 pm
  PMQuoteReply
25th Post
Russ Huber
AFCA Member


Joined: Mon Nov 14th, 2005
Location: Southwest, Wisconsin USA
Status: 
Offline
Tom Morel wrote: Can someone tell me what the point of this thread is? Russ, I’m sure you know what a 99 pancake looks like and I don’t see the benefits of quizzing members on well known and at least somewhat common fans. Hope I haven’t stepped on everyone’s toes here but I don’t understand why we have this thread.
I like Levi, I read his posts.  I dig the look of the candlestick 99 cakes. And someone in Iowa got a good one. If you don't like this post your are most certainly entitled to your opinion, and to never visit this post again. That is the privilege you and everyone else have here.  But keep in mind this is an open forum with moderators, not the Tom Morel public opinion forum.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Tue Aug 28th, 2018 04:00 pm
  PMQuoteReply
26th Post
Steve Stephens
AFCA Member


Joined: Mon Nov 14th, 2005
Location: San Anselmo, California USA
Status: 
Offline
Russ Huber wrote: I no longer own this fan.  But...FWIW...here is the 99 F5 6 pole I bought from Chicago Bob years ago.  I was new into collecting and did a bad.  This fan was in very nice original condition when purchased and should of been left alone. 

For the newer fan collectors out there here is an excellent example of what should probably not have been done; a very nice and straight, all original antique 1899 fan that was polished to "perfection" while obliterating most of the historic fabric of the fan.  This is probably an occurrence that happens more than it should.  If you are new to collecting please take some time to enjoy an original fan before you strip the fan's history.   I'll almost forgive Russ for this mistake.   It was a fan that I would have LOVED to have as it was, after it was polished, I have no interest in the thing.   I can buy new, shiny brass all over the place but rarely as nicely aged 115+ year old brass.




Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Tue Aug 28th, 2018 04:33 pm
  PMQuoteReply
27th Post
Kim Frank
AFCA Member


Joined: Tue Nov 15th, 2005
Location: Whitestown, USA
Status: 
Offline
1899 12 inch F5 104v 60cycle... It's the only GE pancake that I know of that was offered as a one speed residential 6 pole stator fan.  If that is fact....then what does this go to? It is a six pole pancake stator with 1-1/2 inch of laminations. Knowing that the '96 E2 thru '98 E5 12 inch trunnion mount fans used a four pole stator with that thickness, and the '98-'01 14" G and AB series stickmounts used the same, what in GE's catalog used this?

Attached Image (viewed 387 times):

6 pole stator 031.JPG

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Tue Aug 28th, 2018 04:34 pm
  PMQuoteReply
28th Post
Kim Frank
AFCA Member


Joined: Tue Nov 15th, 2005
Location: Whitestown, USA
Status: 
Offline
Here it is in comparison to the one inch of laminations on a regular four pole stator....

Attached Image (viewed 377 times):

6 pole stator 033.JPG

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Tue Aug 28th, 2018 04:45 pm
  PMQuoteReply
29th Post
Kim Frank
AFCA Member


Joined: Tue Nov 15th, 2005
Location: Whitestown, USA
Status: 
Offline
The sixteen inch cake stator uses two inches of laminations......My thoughts go to the F5 12 inch, wondering if GE made the 14 inch for 1899 in the same vein as the 12 inch stickmounts, but I can find nothing that indicated there was a 14 inch six pole motor with just a switch and no speed coil.
    The 1898 14 inch uses a six wing blade, but has a 104 v 60 cycle four pole stator and 3 position switch.....Anyone have an idea?

Attached Image (viewed 371 times):

129.JPG

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Tue Aug 28th, 2018 05:44 pm
  PMQuoteReply
30th Post
Andrew Block
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Thu Apr 26th, 2018
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA
Status: 
Offline
This is a bad trend with the younger collectors. I recently saw a post of someone who found a yoke mount Trojan with beautiful patina, which was quickly stripped and polished to a mirror shine. Ruined it for me.


Steve Stephens wrote: Russ Huber wrote: I no longer own this fan.  But...FWIW...here is the 99 F5 6 pole I bought from Chicago Bob years ago.  I was new into collecting and did a bad.  This fan was in very nice original condition when purchased and should of been left alone. 

For the newer fan collectors out there here is an excellent example of what should probably not have been done; a very nice and straight, all original antique 1899 fan that was polished to "perfection" while obliterating most of the historic fabric of the fan.  This is probably an occurrence that happens more than it should.  If you are new to collecting please take some time to enjoy an original fan before you strip the fan's history.   I'll almost forgive Russ for this mistake.   It was a fan that I would have LOVED to have as it was, after it was polished, I have no interest in the thing.   I can buy new, shiny brass all over the place but rarely as nicely aged 115+ year old brass

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Tue Aug 28th, 2018 07:07 pm
  PMQuoteReply
31st Post
Austin Ko
AFCA Member


Joined: Wed Mar 5th, 2014
Location: Edison, New Jersey USA
Status: 
Offline
Andrew Block wrote: This is a bad trend with the younger collectors. I recently saw a post of someone who found a yoke mount Trojan with beautiful patina, which was quickly stripped and polished to a mirror shine. Ruined it for me.


Steve Stephens wrote: Russ Huber wrote: I no longer own this fan.  But...FWIW...here is the 99 F5 6 pole I bought from Chicago Bob years ago.  I was new into collecting and did a bad.  This fan was in very nice original condition when purchased and should of been left alone. 

For the newer fan collectors out there here is an excellent example of what should probably not have been done; a very nice and straight, all original antique 1899 fan that was polished to "perfection" while obliterating most of the historic fabric of the fan.  This is probably an occurrence that happens more than it should.  If you are new to collecting please take some time to enjoy an original fan before you strip the fan's history.   I'll almost forgive Russ for this mistake.   It was a fan that I would have LOVED to have as it was, after it was polished, I have no interest in the thing.   I can buy new, shiny brass all over the place but rarely as nicely aged 115+ year old brass
This is why I never polish the brass on my fans. One its too much effort because I loose interest halfway through polishing and the fact the fan will look too "new" looking in the end. Plus you have the chance of something getting caught in the buffer. However, I do not approve of filthy dirty paint. That is not patina at all.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Tue Aug 28th, 2018 09:17 pm
  PMQuoteReply
32nd Post
Richard Daugird
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Tue Sep 12th, 2017
Location: Texas City, Between Hou. & Galveston, Texas USA
Status: 
Offline
I have a couple original fans in nearly pristine condition, basically look "new", and by new I mean just taken out of the box. Not brass however, Vortalex. I have several Brass blades, none particularly rare, possibly original, possibly not, that are very shiny, not sure if they were made that way or not, but I love the look. He ll, they will look old again if not kept up so I don't see the harm if someone has polished them.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Tue Aug 28th, 2018 09:48 pm
  PMQuoteReply
33rd Post
Steve Stephens
AFCA Member


Joined: Mon Nov 14th, 2005
Location: San Anselmo, California USA
Status: 
Offline
Richard Daugird wrote:  Hew, they will look old again if not kept up so I don't see the harm if someone has polished them.They will look tarnished again but it's not the same as an untouched original patina.   I can look at many of my fans and know that many were never polished, especially GE pancakes.
I saw a large collection of all brass fans where the owner polishes all of his brass.  The collection was impressive but was missing the individuality of old patina and the whole bunch of fans was blinding in boring shiny brass that was missing the look of history and age.  

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Tue Aug 28th, 2018 10:53 pm
  PMQuoteReply
34th Post
George Durbin
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Nov 2nd, 2012
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
Hi Steve!

So you are saying that the owners of these VERY expensive appliances did not polish them and kept the brass shiny? You are saying patina happened from day one because these fans were not kept clean while in the home? Also all this rust was formed while in the home? I would think this "patina" only formed after these fans were placed in the garage or barn and then neglected for years... The argument seems to me to be what kind of patina happened and when? And if you think barn patina is fine then that is your decision... I think honest patina is a clean fan that was maintained over the years in the home... Depending on cleaning that was used I bet many blades were as shiny as we make them now... And no rust... Just my opinuon...


Geo...


Geo...

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Tue Aug 28th, 2018 11:57 pm
  PMQuoteReply
35th Post
William Dunlap
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Jan 31st, 2014
Location: Kula, Maui, Hawaii USA
Status: 
Offline
:tumbsI think that a fan cherished throughout it's life and kept running has a patina all it's own that is instantly recognizable.
That's that kind I like. The abused and neglected ones get restored.

Pretty simple.

Cheers,
Bill

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Wed Aug 29th, 2018 12:31 am
  PMQuoteReply
36th Post
Dustin Meyer
AFCA Member


Joined: Tue Feb 7th, 2012
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma USA
Status: 
Offline
I agree with Bill. It’s a matter of personal choice and members should respect other member’s choices in what they want to do with their personal fans. Not everyone is a serious collector or buying fans as an investment. Some people want to display their fans and want them to look like they did when they were new. I repair and restore fans for a number of people and always respect their wishes. I will say that 99% want new paint and polished brass but there is that 1% that want originality. It’s their choice, period, no matter what the fan fraternity has deemed acceptable or not. As members of an exclusive organization it is our obligation to encourage people to keep these old fans going for years to come but not criticize them for how they do it. We should offer our advice, and help, but not dictate what they should do or not do. 

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Wed Aug 29th, 2018 01:34 am
  PMQuoteReply
37th Post
Lamar Bass
Guest


Joined: Tue Feb 7th, 2012
Location: Alabama USA
Status: 
Offline
I don't see what the big deal is all about. I have polished several sets of brass blades, ( nobody's business but mine)

but I never lacquer them, so in about three years, they are right back to having a patina, and its a nice looking

patina. I like it, if you like yours everyone should be happy happy happy.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Wed Aug 29th, 2018 01:40 am
  PMQuoteReply
38th Post
George Durbin
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Nov 2nd, 2012
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
It's your fan... do with it as you want! Dont make it a light though! We gotta draw a line some where!😁geo...

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Wed Aug 29th, 2018 01:42 am
  PMQuoteReply
39th Post
Charlie Forster
AFCA Member


Joined: Sun Jul 13th, 2014
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
What Steve and some others are after is what Jay Leno and automobile people  call is Survivors ..
 The patina starts the day the item comes off the assembly line .
Each to his own.

 Back in the days when most people smoked and several in the house smoked  that would have a effect  on the fans appearance and patina.
 Imagine what Georges fans he has out in the silos look like after 50 yrs or so of the silage fumes .

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Wed Aug 29th, 2018 01:44 am
  PMQuoteReply
40th Post
George Durbin
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Nov 2nd, 2012
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
Charlie Forster wrote: What Steve and some others are after is what Jay Leno and automobile people  call is Survivors ..
 The patina starts the day the item comes off the assembly line .
Each to his own.

 Back in the days when most people smoked and several in the house smoked  that would have a effect  on the fans appearance and patina.
 Imagine what Georges fans he has out in the silos look like after 50 yrs or so of the silage fumes .


No fumes in the corn crib... The fans are high and dry! They will become dusty... Is that patina?

Geo...

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

Current time is 07:27 am Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
AFCA Forums > Antique Fan Collectors Association > Pre-1950 (Antique) > Attn: Levi Mevis Top



Beige Theme By: Di @ UltraBB
UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2451 seconds (15% database + 85% PHP). 43 queries executed.