AFCA Forums Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
AFCA Forums > Antique Fan Collectors Association > Post-1950 (Vintage) > GE Thermostaticallontrolled Box Fan found at Goodwill Yesterday!

 Moderated by: Steve Cunningham, Rod Rogers, Larry Hancock
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
GE Thermostaticallontrolled Box Fan found at Goodwill Yesterday!  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Sep 1st, 2017 08:08 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
Levi Mevis
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Tue Feb 24th, 2015
Location: Elkhart, Indiana USA
Status: 
Online
Hello everyone yesterday at Goodwill I found a mid to late 1980s vintage (at least that's what I'm thinking anyways seeing as GE got out of making Consumer Electronics and Fans in the early 1990s) Thermostatically controlled box fan that is in immaculate condition, and the thermostat control still works on it yet even. So anyways I was wondering if you guys had an exact date for this fan or not or whether or not this was a decent fan in its day, to me it seems pretty decent because it does move quite a bit of air on high and medium and even low for how new it is. And the cage even though its plastic is really solid and doesn't have a single break in it!  :shock: 

Pictures are posted below. 


The front of the fan.

Top of the fan showing the controls, note the LED light for the Thermostat control.


Back of the fan.

P.S. Excuse the title of the thread, Its supposed to say GE Thermostatically Controlled Box Fan Found at Goodwill Yesterday! But for some reason my computer lagged on me and because of that it didn't see the spacebar being depressed so "Thermostatically Controlled" came out as one word instead of two words.

Last edited on Fri Sep 1st, 2017 08:12 pm by Levi Mevis

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Fri Sep 1st, 2017 08:18 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Rob Duffy
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Jun 27th, 2008
Location: USA
Status: 
Offline
Mid 2000's for this thing. It's a rebrand and it's got that famous tiny motor.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Fri Sep 1st, 2017 08:22 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Levi Mevis
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Tue Feb 24th, 2015
Location: Elkhart, Indiana USA
Status: 
Online
OK, so was this a decent fan or not? And I guess since it was a rebadge that means some other company other than GE made this fan but used the GE name. Do you know who might of actually made this fan? Because it seems like a pretty decent quality fan yet, surpisingly enough even though it is as new as you said it is.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Fri Sep 1st, 2017 08:29 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
Rob Duffy
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Jun 27th, 2008
Location: USA
Status: 
Offline
Levi Mevis wrote: OK, so was this a decent fan or not? And I guess since it was a rebadge that means some other company other than GE made this fan but used the GE name. Do you know who might of actually made this fan? Because it seems like a pretty decent quality fan yet, surpisingly enough even though it is as new as you said it is.I'm going to guess that either Lasko or Holmes made it. I remember seeing these things in stores just a few years ago.

As far as quality, I'm going to say it's not that much different from your average box fan from these years. I find that those downsized motors are heavily overworked and are intended to fail after so much use.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Fri Sep 1st, 2017 09:00 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
Levi Mevis
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Tue Feb 24th, 2015
Location: Elkhart, Indiana USA
Status: 
Online
Well this fan from what I could see seems to have a standard size box fan motor inside it, as the motor outline in the back looks like the same size as the motors in the old Lakewood or Lasko Fans from the 1980s, which were still good fans yet.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Fri Sep 1st, 2017 10:28 pm
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
Rob Duffy
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Jun 27th, 2008
Location: USA
Status: 
Offline
Levi Mevis wrote: Well this fan from what I could see seems to have a standard size box fan motor inside it, as the motor outline in the back looks like the same size as the motors in the old Lakewood or Lasko Fans from the 1980s, which were still good fans yet.
Got any good pictures of the motor? Appears to be the smaller one from what I can see.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Fri Sep 1st, 2017 10:32 pm
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
Levi Mevis
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Tue Feb 24th, 2015
Location: Elkhart, Indiana USA
Status: 
Online
 I will get some pictures later as I am kind of busy at the moment but I did take a look and it did look like a larger motor than you were talking about.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Sat Sep 2nd, 2017 01:42 am
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
Levi Mevis
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Tue Feb 24th, 2015
Location: Elkhart, Indiana USA
Status: 
Online
Was able to get some pictures of the motor, and it is basically just a regular box fan motor, that is got a motor run capacitor and is fully serviceable as it has screws in the motor housing that can be removed to access the motor for oiling and other servicing. I have pictures of the front and the back of the motor for your information.

A shot of the front side of the motor.


A shot of the back side of the motor.



A shot of the inside of the motor, notice it has 8, yes 8 poles, so its not a cheapie motor by any means.

Yes the rotor on this is smaller than what you would find on most box fans of the 1950s and 1960s but its actually a bigger rotor than you often saw on many 1950s and 1960s vintage table fans, especially the shaded pole motored table fans from that 1950s and 1960s. So in my opinion this fan's motor seems like its actually built better than many of your old Dimestore fans of the 1940s-1960s. 

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited on Sat Sep 2nd, 2017 02:24 am by Levi Mevis

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Sat Sep 2nd, 2017 02:33 am
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
Rob Duffy
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Jun 27th, 2008
Location: USA
Status: 
Offline
That's the small motor. These are the ones that are considered the cheap motors. They're 4 pole and have to spin the blade up to around 1550 RPMs (Which I'm not entirely sure they ever reach that) to make up for the air flow the older 6 pole motors made. The larger motors are the same diameter as most vintage box fans. They stopped using these in the late 90's.

The attached picture below is the older motor design which fills up the entire hub space, leaving very little room.

Attached Image (viewed 173 times):

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited on Sat Sep 2nd, 2017 02:38 am by Rob Duffy

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Sat Sep 2nd, 2017 02:38 am
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
Levi Mevis
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Tue Feb 24th, 2015
Location: Elkhart, Indiana USA
Status: 
Online
Well if they supposedly stopped using this style of motor in the 1990s then how could this fan be from the mid 2000s?

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Sat Sep 2nd, 2017 02:40 am
  PMQuoteReply
11th Post
Rob Duffy
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Jun 27th, 2008
Location: USA
Status: 
Offline
Levi Mevis wrote: Well if they supposedly stopped using this style of motor in the 1990s then how could this fan be from the mid 2000s?Because your motor is the newer style, not the older steel cased style. The old motors are 6 pole and only spun at about 1050 RPM. The blades were a deeper pitch and moved more air at a lower RPM.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Sat Sep 2nd, 2017 02:43 am
  PMQuoteReply
12th Post
Levi Mevis
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Tue Feb 24th, 2015
Location: Elkhart, Indiana USA
Status: 
Online
Yes I'm familiar with that motor design that you pictured, I have a late 1970s early 1980s vintage Lakewood Model P-229 20" Box Fan which actually has oil ports on the motor, I also have an early 1970s Air King 20" Box Fan, and I have an early 1960s vintage Eskimo 20" Box Fan and I have a late 1940s vintage Zero 12" Box Fan all of them of which (except for the Zero for obvious reasons) have the "Large" Motor. 

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Sat Sep 2nd, 2017 02:45 am
  PMQuoteReply
13th Post
Levi Mevis
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Tue Feb 24th, 2015
Location: Elkhart, Indiana USA
Status: 
Online
Well that's the thing this motor IS steel cased did you not see that the motor housing is steel in the pictures?

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Sat Sep 2nd, 2017 02:50 am
  PMQuoteReply
14th Post
Rob Duffy
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Jun 27th, 2008
Location: USA
Status: 
Offline
Levi Mevis wrote: Well that's the thing this motor IS steel cased did you not see that the motor housing is steel in the pictures?Your motor I'm fairly certain is either pot metal or cast aluminum. Put a magnet to the end bells and tell me if it sticks.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Sat Sep 2nd, 2017 03:03 am
  PMQuoteReply
15th Post
Levi Mevis
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Tue Feb 24th, 2015
Location: Elkhart, Indiana USA
Status: 
Online
OK so a magnet don't stick, which means its more than likely Cast Aluminum which is better than nothing. Seeing as NOBODY uses pot metal anymore because of the fact that everyone realized how brittle pot metal is and that its not something you should use on something that you intend to make as a durable good, even if an item is intended to be "throw away" they still wouldn't use pot metal because of how bad it is at breaking at the slightest bit of shock, if you made a box fan motor housing out of pot metal you would have a broken fan in less than one year with as often as box fans get knocked over and are put in windows and are knocked or blown out of said windows, it would make more sense to use cast aluminum than pot metal. Plus if what you say is true about this style of motor being used since 1990s but just different materials, then that means that even fans from the 1990s weren't all that spectacular either according to you, which means that really the 1980s was the last decade of good quality fans and after that everything was downhill from there. 

Last edited on Sat Sep 2nd, 2017 03:07 am by Levi Mevis

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Sat Sep 2nd, 2017 01:56 pm
  PMQuoteReply
16th Post
Rob Duffy
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Jun 27th, 2008
Location: USA
Status: 
Offline
Levi Mevis wrote: OK so a magnet don't stick, which means its more than likely Cast Aluminum which is better than nothing. Seeing as NOBODY uses pot metal anymore because of the fact that everyone realized how brittle pot metal is and that its not something you should use on something that you intend to make as a durable good, even if an item is intended to be "throw away" they still wouldn't use pot metal because of how bad it is at breaking at the slightest bit of shock, if you made a box fan motor housing out of pot metal you would have a broken fan in less than one year with as often as box fans get knocked over and are put in windows and are knocked or blown out of said windows, it would make more sense to use cast aluminum than pot metal. Plus if what you say is true about this style of motor being used since 1990s but just different materials, then that means that even fans from the 1990s weren't all that spectacular either according to you, which means that really the 1980s was the last decade of good quality fans and after that everything was downhill from there. Aluminum is expensive these days and I'm pretty sure pot metal is still widely used, regardless of durability or not. These fans were not made with longevity in mind and it would not surprise me in the least if these motor housings were pot metal. Pot metal while being an inferior metal, is not as horrible as you make it out to be. There are many fans that are nearing 100 years old that have pot metal parts and they're still around. Westinghouse and G.E. for example. The problem with pot metal is what happens to it over time, and we're talking decades, not just a few short months. Most of these fans were designed to last a few years at most, not a century, so by the time the motor construction would be an issue, the fan is likely long gone.

That being said, these smaller motors are in no way similar to the larger steel end-bell predecessors. They're 4 pole as opposed to 6 pole so they have a higher operating RPM and due to the overall size and design, they don't have a whole lot of torque. The biggest flaw with these motors is how hot they run and the type of thermal overload fuse they use. Once that fuse pops, that's the end of the motors service life. It's not like the older motors where the fuse was more along the lines of a breaker which would reset after the motor cools down.

These smaller motors are more comparable to that of a 12" desk fan and started to appear in box fans at the beginning of 2000. The old style motors were quickly phased out and are now only used for heavy duty/commercial applications.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Tue Sep 5th, 2017 03:20 pm
  PMQuoteReply
17th Post
Tom Zapf
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Tue Feb 24th, 2009
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
i believe the rebranded GE fans made by Lasko were sold only at Wal Mart 

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

Current time is 01:26 pm  
AFCA Forums > Antique Fan Collectors Association > Post-1950 (Vintage) > GE Thermostaticallontrolled Box Fan found at Goodwill Yesterday! Top



Beige Theme By: Di @ UltraBB
UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2479 seconds (28% database + 72% PHP). 32 queries executed.