AFCA Forums Home
AFCA Forums > Antique Fan Collectors Association > Pre-1950 (Antique) > Emerson 19645 Part III--Wires and Fires

 Moderated by: Steve Cunningham, Rod Rogers, Larry Hancock  
AuthorPost
Charles Foyle
Guest
 

Joined: Sat Dec 2nd, 2017
Location:  
Status: 
Offline

Objective: ADD WIRES. Then, hope it doesn't shoot out flames like it did the first time!

So I'm back from the break, found the gasket from Mr. Lane Shirey in the mailbox (did I write in thanks for that gasket Mr. Shirey? It fit perfectly! Thanks a lot.) Also, I found my wires, which is 8' of cloth covered cord, a Bakelite 2 prong plug, and--a 3 strand headwire! Found all these at Grand Brass Lamp Parts. I might not have a grand brass lamp whatever that is but the wiring is good for fans.

Tomorrow it's time to go out & purchase a soldering iron. Maybe I can get it running in a day or two. I did polish the blades and knocked most of the grime off the cage--it's going to be a "patina" fan, not a glossy new-old-stock restoration. Us lazy repairmen have some cool looking antiques.

Thanks to everyone who sent the wiring diagrams; I found some old gauges in the basement I believe are or were ohm meters. This ought to work.

In the meantime I am working on a 1926 Manning-Bowman coffee urn, capable of making nine cups of pure deliciousness! It runs perfectly but needs a good cleaning. I might get into antique electrical goods--but gotta start up that fan first.

One little trick I found--daub Testor's Model Enamel on the places where the paint has rusted through. It isn't a perfect match but neither is a big rust hole. I figure it's 100+ years old and can look a little tattered...can't wait to see it run again!

Last edited on Sat Jan 13th, 2018 06:53 am by Charles Foyle

Lane Shirey
AFCA Member


Joined: Wed Apr 30th, 2014
Location: Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
Status: 
Offline
Be sure to post pics when you're finished!

Charles Foyle
Guest
 

Joined: Sat Dec 2nd, 2017
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
Well, I got the motor started. Runs on all three speeds without making noise--very nice to see that again.

I found some stuff called  "Blue Magic" sold as a metal paste polish. It's good on paint as well and has worked a number on the old finish and on the brasswork. This restoration is going to come out better than I thought.

Right now I have a c. 1922-1925 Brunswick phonograph in the basement, badly covered in polyurethane and with two broken legs.  I am currently stripping that and polishing the brightwork in hopes of a total and complete restoration. Yes, there are a lot of old-time tech projects around here but that's what I do for fun!


Beige Theme By: Di @ UltraBB
UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1541 seconds (21% database + 79% PHP). 27 queries executed.