AFCA Forums Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

 Moderated by: Steve Cunningham, Stan Adams, Rod Rogers Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Patina?  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri May 16th, 2014 09:01 pm
  PMQuoteReply
81st Post
Tim Marks
Guest
 

Joined: Sat Sep 1st, 2012
Location: Bethlehem, PA
Status: 
Offline
The two examples above are my two absolute favorite fans.

Both are silent, both oscillate superbly and are easy to use. One is a beautiful restored fan and the other is a beautiful preserved fan.

Neither of them have a century of dirt sitting on them. I am NOT a proponent of buying an old fan and doing nothing with it. Fans should be made to run and either preserved or restored PROPERLY so as to ensure they last a life time. I feel its a waste to have fans sitting on the shelf with no intent of cleaning or making them run. They only continue to degrade further away from usable condition.

If I could only keep one I would keep the Kidney. I put my heart and soul into that restoration and know that it will gain value for a century to come. I also love the two-star the most of any of my other fans aside from the kidney.

Last edited on Fri May 16th, 2014 09:03 pm by Tim Marks

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Fri May 16th, 2014 09:16 pm
  PMQuoteReply
82nd Post
Michael Rathberger
Guest


Joined: Tue Nov 15th, 2005
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
Tim Marks wrote: Which would you rather own?

Preserved Original Fan
http://whiteglovefans.com/blog/2014/3/14/1916-ge-two-star-oscillator
All original parts, paint finish was hand polished to a shine. Electrical components were sealed, head wire replaced. Blade balanced, etc.

Fully Restored Blingtastic
http://whiteglovefans.com/1911-ge-12-kidney/
The works including a motor re-wind.



Both very well done restorations/preservations. I'll take the six wing fan. However, if the Kidney was a six wing fan, I'd take that one. If the 2 star was a 4 wing fan, I would have answered the Kidney.

Neither fan is in the realm of super collectible for me, so it's a toss up, the 6 wings make the difference, I really like the look of them (I also own one of those already).

Another example of my outlook on fans. I hesitated on a little Carelton ball motor at Aiken, it was the coolest little restoration I had seen and a great price. It was gone by the time I looped back. I would have taken that one over any original condition Carelton, but again, not super collectible. There was a Manhatten battery fan there that was fully restored, I passed because I would have preferred a fan like that original. I decided to save my money for Indy.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Fri May 16th, 2014 09:23 pm
  PMQuoteReply
83rd Post
Tim Marks
Guest
 

Joined: Sat Sep 1st, 2012
Location: Bethlehem, PA
Status: 
Offline
Michael Rathberger wrote: Both very well done restorations/preservations. I'll take the six wing fan. However, if the Kidney was a six wing fan, I'd take that one. If the 2 star was a 4 wing fan, I would have answered the Kidney.

Neither fan is in the realm of super collectible for me, so it's a toss up, the 6 wings make the difference, I really like the look of them (I also own one of those already).


The kidney is a six wing ;)

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Fri May 16th, 2014 09:35 pm
  PMQuoteReply
84th Post
Michael Rathberger
Guest


Joined: Tue Nov 15th, 2005
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
Tim Marks wrote: Michael Rathberger wrote:
The kidney is a six wing ;)


I guess I would have picked the wrong one then.

From the pic it looked like a 4 wing to me...

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Fri May 16th, 2014 10:41 pm
  PMQuoteReply
85th Post
George Durbin
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Nov 2nd, 2012
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
The kidney is soo shiny I cant see the six blades! Any one have a NOS kidney still in an unopened box? Preservation? restoration? We are all dancing around the the answer here. I have a question for Tim and Steve or any one with an opinion... If you have a kidney preserved like the 2-star. And both kidneys setting next to each other on a table at a garage sale. Which one would you price higher?  Or would you price them the same? How would you explain the difference between them? I think both will last a hunnert years?  Right?
geo...

Last edited on Fri May 16th, 2014 10:43 pm by George Durbin

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Fri May 16th, 2014 10:49 pm
  PMQuoteReply
86th Post
Steve Stephens
Guest


Joined: Mon Nov 14th, 2005
Location: San Anselmo, California USA
Status: 
Offline
For a good restoration I would probably price the restored fan higher.  One has to recoup the costs of the restoration or, at least figure it into the value/cost.  Maybe I would price the unrestored one higher so it wouldn't sell and I could keep it.  

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Fri May 16th, 2014 10:58 pm
  PMQuoteReply
87th Post
Tim Marks
Guest
 

Joined: Sat Sep 1st, 2012
Location: Bethlehem, PA
Status: 
Offline
George Durbin wrote: The kidney is soo shiny I cant see the six blades! Any one have a NOS kidney still in an unopened box? Preservation? restoration? We are all dancing around the the answer here. I have a question for Tim and Steve or any one with an opinion... If you have a kidney preserved like the 2-star. And both kidneys setting next to each other on a table at a garage sale. Which one would you price higher?  Or would you price them the same? How would you explain the difference between them? I think both will last a hunnert years?  Right?
geo...

I believe without a doubt that if both the fans I pictured above were equal fans, let's say both of them were six-wing kidney fans, that the restored one would sell for considerably higher than the unrestored one. 

I'm willing to say even $1k for the restored one and $500 for the unrestored one. Just a guess based on ebay values in the past.

I think this is an example of more common fans being worth more money restored. The same is not necessarily true with ultra rare fans.

T

Last edited on Fri May 16th, 2014 10:58 pm by Tim Marks

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Fri May 16th, 2014 11:01 pm
  PMQuoteReply
88th Post
Steve Stephens
Guest


Joined: Mon Nov 14th, 2005
Location: San Anselmo, California USA
Status: 
Offline
With the added time and materials for a restored fan it would seem natural that it would sell for more.  I think buyers of restored fans expect to pay more since they usually can't restore the fans themselves and may know the true costs for a quality restoration.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Fri May 16th, 2014 11:06 pm
  PMQuoteReply
89th Post
Tim Marks
Guest
 

Joined: Sat Sep 1st, 2012
Location: Bethlehem, PA
Status: 
Offline
Steve Stephens wrote: With the added time and materials for a restored fan it would seem natural that it would sell for more.  I think buyers of restored fans expect to pay more since they usually can't restore the fans themselves and may know the true costs for a quality restoration.
Steve-

While that's true and I respect your point, when it comes to pricing on ebay it really has nothing to do with what the costs are. It only has to do with what people will pay and therefore what the value is.

There are much higher costs in certain restorations than others but if the consumer can't tell the difference than the pricing will be the same between them. 

The example of $1k versus $500 for the restored versus original kidney is an example of the value of the fans. Not their cost.

Last edited on Fri May 16th, 2014 11:06 pm by Tim Marks

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Fri May 16th, 2014 11:10 pm
  PMQuoteReply
90th Post
George Durbin
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Nov 2nd, 2012
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
Steve Stephens wrote: For a good restoration I would probably price the restored fan higher.  One has to recoup the costs of the restoration or, at least figure it into the value/cost.  Maybe I would price the unrestored one higher so it wouldn't sell and I could keep it.  

Truer words never spoken!:P:P:P
geo...

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Sat May 17th, 2014 12:51 am
  PMQuoteReply
91st Post
David Hoatson
Guest


Joined: Sat Oct 5th, 2013
Location: Chestertown, Maryland USA
Status: 
Offline
To me, I get a warm feeling when i see an unmolested fan that looks good and runs well. It even smells right. I like being the first man to ever crack into that virginal motor case with the 1917 headwire that was soldered on by a very tired 14-year old girl. It's like opening a door that has been shut longer than any living person can remember. It's an honor. And a pure energy. 

A fully rebuilt fan with an $800 paint job is beautiful, but in a modern art or a Hollywood way. Mesmerizing in the silky smoothness of it base coat and the depth of the clear, polished for a king. Like an object that fell from the stars. 

It's like deciding if you want to take Norma Jean to the ice cream counter to stare into her eyes or to take Marylyn Monroe to the Academy Awards and stare down her blouse.  

Fans - take more than one if you want. 

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Sat May 17th, 2014 02:14 am
  PMQuoteReply
92nd Post
Josh Backens
Guest


Joined: Sun Jun 26th, 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona USA
Status: 
Offline
My vote is...... The kidney!! Both look great, but I like the kidney fan itself better. Plus, it's restored :P.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Mon May 19th, 2014 10:53 pm
  PMQuoteReply
93rd Post
George Durbin
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Nov 2nd, 2012
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
This thread has sufficiently died and now here is my theory on anything when it comes to something you like or value...:cool:
It is all between your ears what you think something is worth, and what you want to do with it!!:shock:
A child will always think a nickle is worth more than a dime, its their idea of the world at that time. Some collectors will give more for emersons than ge's and vice-versa. Some think preserved is more valuable than restored. Its their perception! No one is free of this discrimination. Its all between your ears. Look at how many fads have come and gone. While something is hot it is perceived to be worth more, when the fad passes it is worth nearly nothing. Beanie babies, cabbage patch dolls, there are thousands of examples...:? When you say or think "I got to have that" You probably gonna pay too much. Girls, cars, fans, anything popular...:D Go with the flow and enjoy it! Dont deal with the ones you dont like. Always say good things about other collectors here on the forum. Say what you want in private but dont forget you might be recorded!!!:P:P
Any way...    ITS ALL BETWEEN YOURS EARS!!
geo...

Last edited on Tue May 20th, 2014 09:10 pm by George Durbin

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Mon May 19th, 2014 11:48 pm
  PMQuoteReply
94th Post
Gary Hagan
Guest


Joined: Tue Jan 15th, 2013
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
In the antique underwares collector world most like the patina left in tact.

Attached Image (viewed 1097 times):

3140650950_a073a13965.jpg

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Mon May 19th, 2014 11:54 pm
  PMQuoteReply
95th Post
George Durbin
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Nov 2nd, 2012
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
That would be gently used...:P

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Tue May 20th, 2014 12:03 am
  PMQuoteReply
96th Post
Tim Marks
Guest
 

Joined: Sat Sep 1st, 2012
Location: Bethlehem, PA
Status: 
Offline
Gary Hagan wrote: In the antique underwares collector world most like the patina left in tact.
Clearly you haven't read the thread. That underwear is not patina until it's at least two or three weeks old.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Tue May 20th, 2014 12:05 am
  PMQuoteReply
97th Post
George Durbin
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Nov 2nd, 2012
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
Tim Marks wrote: Gary Hagan wrote: In the antique underwares collector world most like the patina left in tact.
Clearly you haven't read the thread. That underwear is not patina until it's at least two or three weeks old.

To some that is a valuable set of drawers! I will not poo poo Gary ' s collection of them!:D
Geo...

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Tue May 20th, 2014 12:07 am
  PMQuoteReply
98th Post
Tim Marks
Guest
 

Joined: Sat Sep 1st, 2012
Location: Bethlehem, PA
Status: 
Offline
George Durbin wrote:
To some that is a valuable set of drawers! I will not poo poo Gary ' s collection of them!:D
Geo...

You'd probably bling them out with tie-dye, Geo! Some people just don't understand antiques or how to appreciate them.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Tue May 20th, 2014 12:20 am
  PMQuoteReply
99th Post
Tom Dreesen
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Nov 25th, 2005
Location: Roanoke, Virginia USA
Status: 
Offline
George Durbin wrote: This thread has sufficiently died and now here is my theory on anything when it comes to something you like or value...:cool:
It is all between your ears what you think something is worth, and what you want to do with it!!:shock:
As a child will always think a nickle is worth more than a dime, its their idea of the world at that time. Some collectors will give more for emersons than ge's and vice-versa. Some think preserved is more valuable than restored. Its their perception! No one is free of this discrimination. Its all between your ears. Look at how many fads have come and gone. While something is hot it is perceived to be worth more, when the fad passes it is worth nearly nothing. Beanie babies, cabbage patch dolls, there are thousands of examples...:? When you say or think "I got to have that" You probably gonna pay too much. Girls, cars, fans, anything popular...:D Go with the flow and enjoy it! Dont deal with the ones you dont like. Always say good things about other collectors here on the forum. Say what you want in private but dont forget you might be recorded!!!:P:P
Any way...    ITS ALL BETWEEN YOURS EARS!!
geo...

Geo,

Your likes or dislikes have only a marginal effect on market forces.

It is simply a fact that most well preserved antiques are worth more, and in most cases, much more than a restored item.

And that's from your wallet, not between your ears.

Be thankful you can pick up de-patinated antiques for a fraction of the patinated version and shine them every night.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Tue May 20th, 2014 02:52 am
  PMQuoteReply
100th Post
Dick Evins
Guest


Joined: Mon Nov 14th, 2005
Location: Texas USA
Status: 
Offline
Tim:
Either and both of those 2-Stars are worthy of ownership of which I would be equally proud.  I have one that looked like it had sat out in the rain since 1917 or so and it proudly sits in my living room happily restored (sans the lower Star).

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Tue May 20th, 2014 05:53 am
  PMQuoteReply
101st Post
George Durbin
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Nov 2nd, 2012
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
Tom Dreesen wrote: George Durbin wrote: This thread has sufficiently died and now here is my theory on anything when it comes to something you like or value...:cool:
It is all between your ears what you think something is worth, and what you want to do with it!!:shock:
As a child will always think a nickle is worth more than a dime, its their idea of the world at that time. Some collectors will give more for emersons than ge's and vice-versa. Some think preserved is more valuable than restored. Its their perception! No one is free of this discrimination. Its all between your ears. Look at how many fads have come and gone. While something is hot it is perceived to be worth more, when the fad passes it is worth nearly nothing. Beanie babies, cabbage patch dolls, there are thousands of examples...:? When you say or think "I got to have that" You probably gonna pay too much. Girls, cars, fans, anything popular...:D Go with the flow and enjoy it! Dont deal with the ones you dont like. Always say good things about other collectors here on the forum. Say what you want in private but dont forget you might be recorded!!!:P:P
Any way...    ITS ALL BETWEEN YOURS EARS!!
geo...

Geo,

Your likes or dislikes have only a marginal effect on market forces.

It is simply a fact that most well preserved antiques are worth more, and in most cases, much more than a restored item.

And that's from your wallet, not between your ears.

Be thankful you can pick up de-patinated antiques for a fraction of the patinated version and shine them every night.

Hi  Tom!Nothing has value unless someone wants it! Perceived or other wise. It could be a rare one of a kind rock on a beach and until someone wants or desires it, it will be worth nothing...Geo...

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Tue May 20th, 2014 05:54 am
  PMQuoteReply
102nd Post
John Rothrock
Guest


Joined: Thu Nov 1st, 2012
Location: Winston-Salem, North Carolina USA
Status: 
Offline
As I see it Great Original>Great restore>shabby original>shabby restore

signed

Lurker

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Tue May 20th, 2014 05:57 am
  PMQuoteReply
103rd Post
George Durbin
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Nov 2nd, 2012
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
John Rothrock wrote: As I see it Great Original>Great restore>shabby original>shabby restore

signed

Lurker

Hi John!You could be right! Geo...

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Tue May 20th, 2014 06:12 am
  PMQuoteReply
104th Post
George Durbin
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Nov 2nd, 2012
Location:  
Status: 
Offline


A friend of mine bought me a fan at a garage sale for a $10 spot. I gave him $20. Sold it to a collector for $80 She sold it to another collector for $160. This guy sold it to a flea market vendor for $200... Some guy off the street bought it for $250... Poor ba**ard died... His widow didn't like the fan and sold it at her garage sale for $10. My friend gave her a $10 spot and sold it to me for $20..........................
Geo...

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Tue May 20th, 2014 06:13 am
  PMQuoteReply
105th Post
Derek Anthony
AFCA Member


Joined: Tue Feb 24th, 2009
Location: Portland, Oregon USA
Status: 
Offline
I keep my fans in their original condition, I only restore them if they are really rusted, the ones I restored were a zero box fan, and a patton u2 1887 that was really corroded

Last edited on Tue May 20th, 2014 06:15 am by Derek Anthony

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Tue May 20th, 2014 06:31 am
  PMQuoteReply
106th Post
Tom Dreesen
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Nov 25th, 2005
Location: Roanoke, Virginia USA
Status: 
Offline
George Durbin wrote: Tom Dreesen wrote: George Durbin wrote: This thread has sufficiently died and now here is my theory on anything when it comes to something you like or value...:cool:
It is all between your ears what you think something is worth, and what you want to do with it!!:shock:
As a child will always think a nickle is worth more than a dime, its their idea of the world at that time. Some collectors will give more for emersons than ge's and vice-versa. Some think preserved is more valuable than restored. Its their perception! No one is free of this discrimination. Its all between your ears. Look at how many fads have come and gone. While something is hot it is perceived to be worth more, when the fad passes it is worth nearly nothing. Beanie babies, cabbage patch dolls, there are thousands of examples...:? When you say or think "I got to have that" You probably gonna pay too much. Girls, cars, fans, anything popular...:D Go with the flow and enjoy it! Dont deal with the ones you dont like. Always say good things about other collectors here on the forum. Say what you want in private but dont forget you might be recorded!!!:P:P
Any way...    ITS ALL BETWEEN YOURS EARS!!
geo...

Geo,

Your likes or dislikes have only a marginal effect on market forces.

It is simply a fact that most well preserved antiques are worth more, and in most cases, much more than a restored item.

And that's from your wallet, not between your ears.

Be thankful you can pick up de-patinated antiques for a fraction of the patinated version and shine them every night.

Hi  Tom!Nothing has value unless someone wants it! Perceived or other wise. It could be a rare one of a kind rock on a beach and until someone wants or desires it, it will be worth nothing...Geo...


Mythbusters proved you could polish excrement.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Tue May 20th, 2014 06:37 am
  PMQuoteReply
107th Post
Steve Stephens
Guest


Joined: Mon Nov 14th, 2005
Location: San Anselmo, California USA
Status: 
Offline
John Rothrock wrote: As I see it Great Original>Great restore>shabby original>shabby restore

signed

Lurker
How I see it:

Great original > great preservation.

Shabby original > great restoration.  

At least that's how I think it works out best.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Tue May 20th, 2014 06:44 am
  PMQuoteReply
108th Post
George Durbin
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Nov 2nd, 2012
Location:  
Status: 
Offline


Hahah Tom!I never tried polishing one of those! I did try a few times to put lipstick on a pig!Geo...

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Tue May 20th, 2014 07:10 am
  PMQuoteReply
109th Post
John Rothrock
Guest


Joined: Thu Nov 1st, 2012
Location: Winston-Salem, North Carolina USA
Status: 
Offline
George Durbin wrote:

A friend of mine bought me a fan at a garage sale for a $10 spot. I gave him $20. Sold it to a collector for $80 She sold it to another collector for $160. This guy sold it to a flea market vendor for $200... Some guy off the street bought it for $250... Poor ba**ard died... His widow didn't like the fan and sold it at her garage sale for $10. My friend gave her a $10 spot and sold it to me for $20..........................
Geo...



the circle of life...

I have been going to a few auctions lately and you always see the old guy who's buying quantity on everything that goes cheap, wonder if in 10 years I'll be going to his sale and buying that same stuff, then in about 30 years somebody will come to my estate sale and steal all my treaures

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Tue May 20th, 2014 07:13 am
  PMQuoteReply
110th Post
George Durbin
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Nov 2nd, 2012
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
John Rothrock wrote: George Durbin wrote:

A friend of mine bought me a fan at a garage sale for a $10 spot. I gave him $20. Sold it to a collector for $80 She sold it to another collector for $160. This guy sold it to a flea market vendor for $200... Some guy off the street bought it for $250... Poor ba**ard died... His widow didn't like the fan and sold it at her garage sale for $10. My friend gave her a $10 spot and sold it to me for $20..........................
Geo...



the circle of life...

I have been going to a few auctions lately and you always see the old guy who's buying quantity on everything that goes cheap, wonder if in 10 years I'll be going to his sale and buying that same stuff, then in about 30 years somebody will come to my estate sale and steal all my treaures


In 30 years! Look at all that patina!!:D
Geo..

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Tue May 20th, 2014 10:42 am
  PMQuoteReply
111th Post
Andrew Block
Guest
 

Joined: 
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
John Rothrock wrote: George Durbin wrote:

A friend of mine bought me a fan at a garage sale for a $10 spot. I gave him $20. Sold it to a collector for $80 She sold it to another collector for $160. This guy sold it to a flea market vendor for $200... Some guy off the street bought it for $250... Poor ba**ard died... His widow didn't like the fan and sold it at her garage sale for $10. My friend gave her a $10 spot and sold it to me for $20..........................
Geo...



the circle of life...

I have been going to a few auctions lately and you always see the old guy who's buying quantity on everything that goes cheap, wonder if in 10 years I'll be going to his sale and buying that same stuff, then in about 30 years somebody will come to my estate sale and steal all my treaures

Circle of life indeed. Went to a estate sale this weekend of a man who collected lighting for over 40 years. Wife wants out, has to clear out the building for sale. 2200 pieces of glass and multiple parts bins. Bought almost 100 shades in every size, shape and color....handpainted.....gasolier.....holophane.....mission......gravity bowl......Handel........cut glass electric.......blown globes.......$10 each. No chandelier more than $60, for fully rewired gas/electrics.

40 years of collecting reduced to $10 each. Better watch Ebay, there were multiple individuals purchasing for resale.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Tue May 20th, 2014 06:09 pm
  PMQuoteReply
112th Post
Tom Dreesen
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Nov 25th, 2005
Location: Roanoke, Virginia USA
Status: 
Offline
Andrew Block wrote: John Rothrock wrote: George Durbin wrote:

A friend of mine bought me a fan at a garage sale for a $10 spot. I gave him $20. Sold it to a collector for $80 She sold it to another collector for $160. This guy sold it to a flea market vendor for $200... Some guy off the street bought it for $250... Poor ba**ard died... His widow didn't like the fan and sold it at her garage sale for $10. My friend gave her a $10 spot and sold it to me for $20..........................
Geo...



the circle of life...

I have been going to a few auctions lately and you always see the old guy who's buying quantity on everything that goes cheap, wonder if in 10 years I'll be going to his sale and buying that same stuff, then in about 30 years somebody will come to my estate sale and steal all my treaures

Circle of life indeed. Went to a estate sale this weekend of a man who collected lighting for over 40 years. Wife wants out, has to clear out the building for sale. 2200 pieces of glass and multiple parts bins. Bought almost 100 shades in every size, shape and color....handpainted.....gasolier.....holophane.....mission......gravity bowl......Handel........cut glass electric.......blown globes.......$10 each. No chandelier more than $60, for fully rewired gas/electrics.

40 years of collecting reduced to $10 each. Better watch Ebay, there were multiple individuals purchasing for resale.

I have been to enough auctions to have seen many items more than once in far separate locations.  I fully believe that there is stuff that spends eternity traveling to one auction after another (some with stops in various stores and warehouses).

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Tue May 20th, 2014 08:12 pm
  PMQuoteReply
113th Post
Wayne Bengston
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Sun Jun 17th, 2012
Location: Fairfield, California USA
Status: 
Offline
I'd want both of the fans above, but the original would be my preference if I could only have one.
I like finely restored items of all sorts, beautifully preserved originals, and well-worn but cared for originals, and old restorations.  Everything has its place.
My favorite fan is the Century below and I only plan to replace the cord and headwire, and the Tank ties with the Trojan below for a very close second place;




I don't "like" the rust on the base of the Century, but I also feel it gives it character.
It reminds me of an article I read about Carroll Shelby.   He could drive anything he wanted, but his favorite car was an un-restored 289 Cobra with polished, but cracked paint and a well-worn drive-line.

Last edited on Tue May 20th, 2014 08:20 pm by Wayne Bengston

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Tue May 20th, 2014 08:45 pm
  PMQuoteReply
114th Post
George Durbin
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Nov 2nd, 2012
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
I don't have a ribbed base emerson, but I will someday!I have this s-4 16" century. It is a mixed bag and I love it! The stump is preserved and rewired. Paint was 95% I had it buffed and adjusted the brushes so it runs nicely! The cage had several breaks. It was repaired and buffed. The blade had a cracked wing and so all 4 were replaced and buffed to beauty... 
I still need to black out the badge....

Attached Image (viewed 951 times):

20131117_190218.jpg

Last edited on Tue May 20th, 2014 08:58 pm by George Durbin

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Tue May 20th, 2014 08:48 pm
  PMQuoteReply
115th Post
George Durbin
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Nov 2nd, 2012
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
2

Attached Image (viewed 977 times):

20131117_185630.jpg

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Tue May 20th, 2014 08:55 pm
  PMQuoteReply
116th Post
George Durbin
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Nov 2nd, 2012
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
3

Attached Image (viewed 900 times):

cell ph rocky 1456.jpg

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Tue May 20th, 2014 08:57 pm
  PMQuoteReply
117th Post
George Durbin
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Nov 2nd, 2012
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
4

Attached Image (viewed 928 times):

cell ph rocky 1455.jpg

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Tue May 20th, 2014 09:02 pm
  PMQuoteReply
118th Post
George Durbin
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Nov 2nd, 2012
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
Very early serial number "556". I think it is still the second earliest serial number and I think there are only 12-15 non oscillators known at this time.... I will bring this one to Fan Fair in Indy this year...

Attached Image (viewed 995 times):

cell ph rocky 1454.jpg

Last edited on Tue May 20th, 2014 09:02 pm by George Durbin

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Tue May 20th, 2014 09:09 pm
  PMQuoteReply
119th Post
Steve Stephens
Guest


Joined: Mon Nov 14th, 2005
Location: San Anselmo, California USA
Status: 
Offline
George Durbin wrote: I have this s-4 16" century.  I had it buffed and adjusted the brushes so it runs nicely!  
Adjusted WHAT brushes?

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Tue May 20th, 2014 09:19 pm
  PMQuoteReply
120th Post
George Durbin
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Nov 2nd, 2012
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
Steve Stephens wrote: George Durbin wrote: I have this s-4 16" century.  I had it buffed and adjusted the brushes so it runs nicely!  
Adjusted WHAT brushes?


Yeah... I will edit that statement... "and adjusted the contacts on the rotor!" They are touchy in their adjustments! Nice catch Steve!!How do you like that original paint?
geo...

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

Current time is 01:34 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  Next Page Last Page    
AFCA Forums > Antique Fan Collectors Association > Buy-Sell-Trade > Patina? Top



Beige Theme By: Di @ UltraBB
UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1543 seconds (20% database + 80% PHP). 59 queries executed.